Sunday, March 8, 2009

House Update

Inspection:  The inspection went well, there are a few small things that the bank will be fixing, but nothing surprising popped up.  The bank will steam clean the carpets, retexture and paint the wall dings, install a new master bedroom door, install splashguards and extended downspouts, and repair the water pressure problem in the master bath.  Yay!  Those are all pretty minor things but I'm glad we won't need to take care of them ourselves, we will be busy enough doing other work.

Appraisal:  The house appraised for $100 over our purchase price, woohoo instant equity!  Also, it measured 15 square feet larger than the specs our realtor provided.  

Closing date:  Our closing was set for 3/31, BUT the approval from the bank came back last week and we can close much sooner if we prefer.  I'm not sure what we'll do, on the one hand I'm itching to get in and start painting and installing new flooring, but we are paying rent on our current place until mid-April.   

Packing:  Much to Nick's chagrin, I've already started packing.  We are trying to help our landlords find new tenants, and I figure a decluttered house is more appealing than our usual bursting at the seams style.  We are looking into hiring movers since our new place is 2 stories, we like our friends and would like to keep them, so it probably would be prudent to not ask them to help us move.  

I feel like my to-do list is 10 miles long, but overall the process of buying a house hasn't been as nerve wracking as I thought it would be.  Actually FINDING a house was the hardest part, we started this journey 3 years ago when I was pregnant!  Back then, we could have purchased a 50 year old  3 bedroom with 1 bathroom at the top of our price range, we actually made an offer on such a house, which was rejected.  That turned out to be a good thing though, I'd be kicking myself now, as I'm sure many homeowners are.

No comments: